12.6.09

The Nature of Performance

The more I think about the kiss, the more I think about the nature of embodiment and the distinctions we draw between embodiment as performative rather than proprioceptive. My experience felt so very performative and detached, as if I was in a play, but I can fully understand if it was a completely different interaction for him. The more time you spend in Second Life, the more you get used to the functionality and behaviours of the programme and then when you log off and leave to walk down a street in real life you feel a kind of readjusting taking place in your senses. The bodily shift is quite phenomenal. Suddenly I became so much more aware of my body and space. Blood returned to me and the air was so thin again. Weirdd. I have had this feeling before...When I look at my body or real space after having watched animated tv shows of films and when engaging in other online or computer spaces. Its very difficult to describe but VERY important to me. Its quite a major feeling. overwhelming.
This seems like the Performative/ Proprioceptive cross over. The space in-between where new and unusual feelings emerge. This is where I am beginning to understand what is happening to my body in space. Or trying to understand! What spaces I occupy...what spaces I become detached from.
Back to the performance. As I was having this experience in Second Life I did feel removed, largely due to my awareness that I am attempting to analyse and comprehend the interactions for my art and writing needs...I'm aware that I'm constructing situations that benefit my desire to have representational information to discuss/present. The extent to which my behaviour shifts will probably become more apparent as I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment