12.6.09

So The Video Works...

The below video posts are sections (tiny sections) of some of the initial experiments I have been working on projecting Second Life onto my body live and videoing. I have about an hour of footage of these S.L projections so far. I love what is starting to happen. Although I missed the kiss sequence (devastated that the camera battery went dead and I didn't notice until too late!) I like the kinds of banal and boring in-between shots as well. As so much of the time I am static-chatting or watching- the really exciting moments of action are few and far between...not that any of the less diversely moving moments are any less interesting to me...Just seems nicer to share something a little more visually stimulating. So as this experiment unfolds I hope to create some new and exciting interactions to share with everyone! Again thinking about the individualistic nature of the interactions and thinking about how the audience might become more interested or intrigued by different kind of happenings. So that comes next.
As far as fulfilling this work to this point goes...I'm very excited.
I love the contrast between my static body and my virtual bodily movements. The contrast of my self and this projection of another body (by a man!) onto my own. The spaces I am occupying...or not!?
Politically speaking, the man's projection of this 'sexy girl' onto my avatar is just soooo interesting and messed up. I have deliberately and knowingly allowed this kind of violation?(Wrong word?) not that it is physical, perhaps it becomes psychological? Can I create a distinction here? What fucking feminist ideals? (I feel embarrassed) An acknowledgement of or an abandoning of my ideology?...... I know what I believe but does my audience?
SO fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. this is so weird, seeing yourself your other online self then that self being projected onto real self who is controlling online self. Its like when you stand between two mirrors and see millions of people in either direction... you know??? lovely blog :) and lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete