27.7.09

Sydney

wowowowowowow
I feel so inspired by all the amazing video work was able to see in sydney. I caught two massive video exhibitions and several smaller shows while there. Saw some amazing spaces and got completely overwhelmed...I think for the first time in ages...in the true sense of the word. So much to take in and you can possibly see everything ENOUGH! but just such a treat to be able so spend hours and days looking and listening and taking it all in.
Some highlights....mostly so I don't forget....
Rising tide show at the MCA
Loved Patricia Piccinini's video installation...Haunting music and a girl swimming, she battles the open ocean, no land in sight. She appears to give up and as we think she becomes tired and begin to sink, the camera follows underwater where we see she has gills on her neck. What seemed like a moment of serious vulnerability became one of strength and transcendence. She surprises us all with a calm face and a slight smile before returning to the surface to swim some more. This beautiful ambiguous (loop) so lovely.
TVMOORE. so cool. 'Neddy' show was great, the narrative became disjointed, i love the way that it all kind of linked but was delicate. The same feeling of suspended animation. bodies in motion but not necessarily moving(in a linear way.)
Also loved the work at the AGNSW. Cabinet of curiosities. TVs and objects. Like the idea of a combining both objects and video works into my final installation. Should work. Audio also so vital to the experience of the work.
SOOO many inspiring works everywhere. Elegant. I feel like this is what I aspire the create; Elegant work that allows for multiple interpretations...work that is beautiful and simple and kind of delightful. I don't wish to antagonise.
The Anne Landa awards exhibition that was on was just perfect for me as the show explores the notion of representational selves. Avatars, others, duplicates, simulation, experience, embodied virtuality. yeah. awesome.
Some great writing in the catalogue too that i'll post soon...maybe once i've broken them down a little. thinking about how this all fits into my own work....

No comments:

Post a Comment