12.5.09

AES+F

AES+F

While watching the screening of Last Riot yesterday I became distracted numerous times, thinking about my own work and what it is that I am creating. I became overwhelmed with the conclusion that while I am attempting to discover the meanings of virtuality and embodiment, mimesis and legendary psychasthenia I am not making anything. And the few works I have conceived for this project this far seem so reactionary. They seem to be representations of these ideas, rather than and actual functioning artworks that extend beyond the idea and embody the idea itself.

Last Riot encompasses many of the issues I have been considering. Virtuality, the hyperrealism of gaming and advertising, the (post) post potographic understanding of our world. The deliberate lo-fi looking graphics, which seem so clunky still have their place. What I so desperately wanted to ask during the discussion after the work was screened is how people feel about the timeliness of the work? It seems so bound in this perpetual state of time, neither progressing, nor regressing, suspended and animated. Beautiful. Disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment