9.6.09

Self Portraiture

Again it seems that I have made many self portraits during this project so far. Last year the same thing happened. I've not been setting out to make self portraits but they seem to happen! It's interesting because as the nature of online interactions go...the individual experience etc...it is natural that I should be the subject of my work. Here I am concerned that this restricts the depth of the work for viewers, placing many new connotations and expectations on the art. Identity is in fact still becoming the focus of my work and this notion that identity is lost. I confuse myself because I am such a self conscious person and perhaps making things more difficult by continually using my own body. BUT it seems so important that it is me.
However I think self portraiture can be very successful...Pipilotti Rist is able to use her own body really successfully to create beautiful works that extend so far beyond portraiture. Hopefully I'll figure out how to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment